Wednesday, June 22, 2011

June 23rd readings

The article I found is called, Making Guided Reading Work. I found this article, among others from the same author, on Educationworld.com. I choose this article because it had a lot of direct applications for guided reading in the classroom. The article first starts out by explaining how to establish a routine that allows for uninterrupted time to work in small groups. The article explains the progression of how they introduce different centers that guide them more and more towards independent small group activities. I found this portion of the article to be very helpful, I would never have thought of the importance of getting the children used to small groups before even introducing guided reading.


There is an example of a mini lessons for guided reading in the article that I found useful. I would recommend someone reading this article before they taught a guided reading lesson. The mini lessons includes examples and language that teachers may want to use. The last section I really enjoyed was, guided reading for struggling readers. It emphasized the importance of using a book that the child is familiar with to help build skills and confidence. I found this article really helpful for understanding how guided reading is applied in classrooms.

Here is the link: http://www.educationworld.com/a_curr/columnists/miller/miller011.shtml

You have to scroll down to the "more guided reading resources" section and click "Making Guided Reading Work."

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you found an article with some practical applications. It looks like a great website. Minilessons can be very powerful tools for teachers to incorporate into their classroom.

    Also, I think you bring up a great point that students need to be introduced to small groups before beginning guided reading. Getting ready to start guided reading can be a slow process that needs a lot of scaffolding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the mini lessons presented in this article. I will definitely be saving this one to use in my own classroom someday!

    ReplyDelete